About the Hall
The court house at Yackandandah was built in 1864 as both a mining and magistrate’s court. Gold was discovered at Beechworth and Yackandandah in 1852 and the immediate influx of miners to the region resulted in the development of these towns.
Designed by Gustav Joachimi of the Public Works Department in a conservative classical style, the single storey brick structure with corrugated iron roof, is set on a granite base. The building comprises a simple gable court room with three main rooms situated at the rear and a hipped brick porch at the front.
The Yackandandah Court House is of architectural significance as an individual and intact example of a type of regional court house, designed by the Public Works Department in the mid-1860s. Fine brick detailing creates a distinctive example of nineteenth century conservative classicism.
The Yackandandah Court House is of historical significance for its association with the gold rush period and the subsequent development of the colony. It is one of very few surviving courts which were designed as both a mining and magistrates court.
Address: 3 Fletcher St, Yackandandah, VIC 3749