About the Hall
The Sandford Hall, adjacent to the smaller Forester’s Hall, was first established as the Mechanics Institute. Sandford resident and pioneer, Mr John S Anderson, was the instigator of the hall. The foundation stone was laid in 1885, and the hall officially opened in 1886. On June 21st 1887, and the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria’s reign, John S Anderson planted a commemorative oak. The aged oak tree still stands and is heritage listed.
The hub of Sandford, the hall was the venue for social and cultural events, balls, showing silent movies, and concerts performed by Sandford’s school children. John S Anderson established Sandford’s library, housed in the reading room at the rear of the hall.
Sadly, the reading room no longer exists. Fallen into disrepair by 1986, it was demolished and never replaced. The hall itself was almost lost, fenced off and ready for demolition. A group of local women chose a different course. With bricks donated by local farmers and residents, their initiative saw the hall repaired, and saved.
Decades later, the hall now serves as the hub of Sandford, a venue for weekly Tai Chi and Line Dancing classes, an annual Winter Soup Kitchen, celebrations, meetings, Trivia nights, exhibitions, and the monthly Sandford Village Market.
Address: 14 Burke Street, Sandford, Victoria 3312
Please Contact:Sandford Hall Committee President, Rodger Williams, on 0408 703 746