About the Hall
In 1890 Mr Sidney J. Webb donated the land from his farm “Holly Green” for the Mechanics Institute. The Narre Warren Railway Station Mechanics Institute was built in 1891. The original funding for the hall was, by December 1890, recorded as £134-5-0 from donations and a further £227-1-11 from entertainment. The total cost of the hall was £384-15-0 by the time it was built. From 1893 – 1898 over £500 was spent on books – most of them technical, in 1898 there were 990 books and by 1905 over 2000 were in the library.
Extensions to the kitchen, foyer and meeting room were started in June 1899 and finished in October 1899. Kerosene lanterns were used as the first lights for the hall. Electricity was introduced to the hall in 1929 and Fluorescent lights were fitted to all the rooms in 1970.
“Due to lack of support” the hall closed in 1940. A new committee was formed and the hall re-opened in 1941.Debt free, the hall continues to provide a meeting place for local people. It is used seven days and six evenings a week.
Address: 59 Webb St Narre Warren
Bookings: call 8790-5988 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday 20 November: 125 Years – Looking Back