About the Hall
This historic pine lined hall sits beside the Arthur Highway on the busy tourist highway to Port Arthur on Tasman Peninsula and is 7 kms from Sorell next to the only shop and fuel outlet in the small settlement of Forcett.
After many attempts to find an appropriate site and failed attempt to seek a municipal loan, the ladies of Forcett approached Mr Harvey junior and he offered a quarter of an acre of land beside the road close to the post office. To overcome financial difficulties Mr D H Harvey senior funded the building. Although the post office no longer exists, the hall continues under the management of a volunteer committee to provide good service to the community.
On 21 July 1914 The Mercury published the following record when the Foundation Stone was laid.
‘Mr. H. J. Denholm’s, of Lindisfarne, for £440 accepted. The main hall of the building is to have a floor span of 40 x 26, with a fixed stage. A supper room, 10 x 26, two ante-rooms, one for gentlemen and one for ladies, each 13 x 13, the latter fitted with lavatory, etc., are provided for. Water will be laid on and acetylene lighting arranged. The building as planned will be an up-to-date one, convenient in every way for entertainments and dancing. It is proposed to spend another £100 on furnishing, which sum the Iadies hope to secure by means of a grand fair, to be held some time in November next.’
Contact: Sharon Fotheringham , 62 659 174 or email:
Address: Arthur Highway, Forcett, Tasmania 7173
Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 November 2016: Show + Tell: January 2013 Bushfire Recovery Project