EVENT DATE: Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 November 2016
Show+Tell: January 2013 Bush Fire Recovery Project
The exhibition will be shown on 19 and 20 November 2016. It will provide an opportunity for the fire-affected community to create an artistic response to the disastrous 2013 Dunalley bush fires through images or words.
All works will be exhibited on a portable display system based on a grid of 200 x 200 mm squares. The minimum size of artworks is 150 x 200 mm (horizontal or vertical) and the maximum is 600 x 600 mm. Participants are required to agree to the artwork being displayed at the discretion of the Project Managers. The copyright of all artwork remains with the authors.
The hall is wheelchair accessible.
Bush fires play a significant part in Australian history. The importance and understanding of Aboriginal bush fire management has only recently been appreciated. The settler response to the phenomenon through visual arts can be seen in the classic large oil on canvas, Black Thursday, February 6th 1851, painted by William Strutt and on display at the State Library of Victoria. The event was so dramatic for Strutt that it was 8 years after the disaster before he could bring himself to portray the event. The bush fires of southeast Tasmania in January 2013 had a greater and long-term effect than anyone could have imagined at that time.
Date: Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 November 2016
Venue: The Forcett Community Hall
Address: Arthur Highway, Forcett, Tasmania 7173
Time: 11 am until 5 pm
Contact: Christopher Cowles, 62 535 250
ABOUT THE HALL
The Forcett Hall
This historic pine lined hall sits beside the Arthur Highway on the busy tourist highway to Port Arthur on Tasman Peninsula and is 7 kms from Sorell next to the only shop and fuel outlet in the small settlement of Forcett.
After many attempts to find an appropriate site and failed attempt to seek a municipal loan, the ladies of Forcett approached Mr Harvey junior and he offered a quarter of an acre of land beside the road close to the post office. To overcome financial difficulties Mr D H Harvey senior funded the building. Although the post office no longer exists, the hall continues under the management of a volunteer committee to provide good service to the community.
On 21 July 1914 The Mercury published the following record when the Foundation Stone was laid.
‘Mr. H. J. Denholm’s, of Lindisfarne, for £440 accepted. The main hall of the building is to have a floor span of 40 x 26, with a fixed stage. A supper room, 10 x 26, two ante-rooms, one for gentlemen and one for ladies, each 13 x 13, the latter fitted with lavatory, etc., are provided for. Water will be laid on and acetylene lighting arranged. The building as planned will be an up-to-date one, convenient in every way for entertainments and dancing. It is proposed to spend another £100 on furnishing, which sum the Iadies hope to secure by means of a grand fair, to be held some time in November next.’
Visit the Forcett Hall page.