EVENT DATE: Sunday 15 November 2015
A community run event supporting local growers and producers is set inside the Malmsbury Town Hall and outside in the nearby Botanic Gardens. There are approximately 60 stalls giving tastings and sales of the local wines, premium olive oils and many other products. A local ‘Makers Market’ will feature this year. This popular Fayre is held on the third Sunday of November and attracts over 3,000 visitors.
Free jumping castles and face painting by professionals. Live music is presented by the ZINGARO music festival in the Gypsy Klezmer style where visitor participation is a must. You can create more music with Andy Rigby’s marimbas. The Botanic Gardens are a perfect backdrop for a picnic, taking a stroll or to view the historic, bluestone viaduct. You will find cafes, restaurants, three art galleries and the local Historical Society at the Malmsbury Mechanics Institute are all open in the shopping precinct. Malmsbury has an active VLine train station on the Bendigo line just 6 minutes walk from the Fayre.
For further details visit the Malmsbury Village Fayre website.
Date: Sunday 15 November 2015
Venue: Malmsbury Town Hall and Botanic Gardens
Address: Cnr Ellesmere Place and Mollison St Malmsbury
Entry: gold coin
Stallholders: Contact Sandra , 03 5423 4225
ABOUT THE HALL:
A bit of history The Town Hall is much loved by the community and has a dedicated Town Hall Committee (started in 2013) who are maintaining it and raising funds to obtain a modern commercial kitchen. This year specialized padding has been placed on the back wall of the hall to improve the acoustics. It was celebrated with a huge concert of local musicians. The group has also replaced the stage curtains and obtained new padded chairs. The Malmsbury Town Hall was built in 1868 on the corner of Ellesmere Place and the main road next to the Botanic Gardens from dressed rubble bluestone (probably quarried locally). It is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register and registered by the National Trust. The removal of the front facade to make way for a 1950’s red brick addition for the arrival of the ‘movies’ has threatened the viability of these listings. The bluestone panels were finished with cement to imitate freestone after the style adopted in the erection of Wesley Church, Melbourne. At the time it was the only town hall between Melbourne and Sandhurst (Bendigo). Malmsbury was also remarkable because it eventually had two halls (the Mechanics Institute and Town Hall) in such a small town. After about 8 years of use the Department of Health decided the hall was too dangerous to use and it must close because there was no provision for water in case of fire. Large buckets had to be put onto the stage. Its uses have included: a court house, council offices, film shows, weddings, funeral wakes, celebrations, meetings, talks, concerts, community groups etc.