EVENT DATE: 9 November 2014
Save the Sunday 9 November for our Annual Garden Walk and enjoy a terrific Community Day. Catch up with your neighbors and visit five fascinating gardens in At Andrews, Cottles Bridge and Panton Hill. It is a great way to gather up ideas for your own garden and to see what can be achieved in fairly trying circumstance.
This year there is an emphasis on gardening in fire-prone areas and all of our gardens have taken the possibility of five into consideration
There will be art works, cottage plant, lavender products, iris, a Landcare display, garden ornaments, Devonshire teas, light lunches – all available at the Authurs Creek hall.
The entry fee of $15 will go towards the continuing restoration of the Arthurs Creek Mechanics Institute which was built in 1887. since the Garden Walks began 26 years ago the Hall has been restored to the “much-loved” condition relating much of what was original whilst keeping in mind what is practical in this day and age.
Date: Sunday 9 November, 2014
Venue: Arthurs Creek Hall
Address: 906 Arthurs Creek Road, Arthurs Creek
Time: Purchase tickets between 9.30am an 3.00pm. Gardens open until 5.30pm
More information: Lois on 9714 8447, Peter 9714 8496, Gayle 9714 8270
ABOUT THE HALL:
on 11 March 1886, a public meeting of persons interested in erecting a hall was held at Arthur’s Creek School. At a meeting held on 13 August 1886, E. H Cameron M.L.A acted as the returning officer for the election of a Committee and appointment of Trustees. On 26 October, the Committee accepted an offer from William Murphy of suitable land adjacent to the school. Arrangements were made for the transfer of the land to the Trustees.
Plan for the hall and library were prepared by architect E.J Henderson of Queen Street. The tender of D. J (Denis) Murphy of Streamville was accepted, to complete the building within three months from 21 March 1887. The original hall was to be 40 feet x 20 feet and the library and dressing room 14 feet x 12 feet each. Extensions were made to the hall and library in 1903.
A grand concert and ball to celebrate the opening was held on the evening of Friday 2 September 1887. A letter of apology was read from E. H Cameron M.L.A. in this absence the chair was taken by William Reid J. P of Hazel Glen. ” There were about 40 couples present … a programmer of 21 dances was finished a little after 5 o’clock in the morning.”
A sub committee was formed for management of the library. Rules and regulations were drawn up. Mr. green acted as the Librarian.
The Mechanics’ Institute became a focal point for the community. User groups included the Railway Committee, Arthurs Creek Brass Band, Arthur’s Creek Fruit Growers Association, Debating Club, Bush Fire Relief, Soldiers Welcome Home, Church of England Service, roman Catholic Congregation, Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade and Progress Association.